· The duty of processing complaints in the Council is resident in the Complaint unit of the Research and Documentation Department headed by a Chief Research Officer.
· Upon receipt of any complaint, the unit in charge ensures that the complaint is acknowledged within 48 hours.
· The processing of the complaint is then carried out within two
weeks to allow for wide consultations and reflections on the matter.
· This is then followed by a written notification to the media, corporate body or persons concerned if there is a prima facie breach of media ethics or rights.
· A brief for the adjudication of complaints is then prepared for the Council Adjudication Committee.
· The decision of the Adjudication Committee is then The Nigerian Press Council (NPC) as the buffer between the media and the public provides variety of services to the media, the public and of course the government. It ensures the maintenance of the highest ethical and professional standards in the media by rendering the following services to relevant stakeholders:
i. Adjudication of complaints about or by the press;
ii. Research into and documentation of contemporary press development;
iii. Accreditation of programmes of journalism training institutions;
iv. Defence of press freedom;
v. Media monitoring;
vi. Protection of Journalists rights and privileges in the course of performing their lawful
vii. Human Capital Development;
viii. Rendition of appropriate advice to stakeholders on media issues
ix. Other services
– Library services
– Media consultancy